Unusual places of Tver
princedom, played no less a role than Moscow: the power-loving and cunning local princes, rivals of Moscow, repeatedly tried to subjugate the vast East Slavic lands. Several times the Tver rulers were one step away from defeating Moscow and declaring their capital the main city of Russia; only in 1485, after the accomplishment of the Tatar-Mongolian yoke, did the strong Muscovite state finally swallow Tver.
Unusual places of Tver
In our time, Tver is a major economic and cultural center. The city is famous for its embankment, where the historical buildings of the 18th century are preserved, as well as the variety of recently restored monuments of antiquity. No less interesting are the various modern sights, which are numerous in Tver – for every taste. This truly great Russian city is worthy of everyone to visit it, and the best place to stop is Tver Park Hotel – a hotel that combines an excellent level of service and comfort.
The monument to the famous author and performer of songs in the genre of “Russian chanson”, who was born and died in Tver, is located on a pedestrian boulevard in the center of the city. He put it at the expense of relatives and friends of the singer in 2007, five years after Michael Krug was brutally murdered by unidentified armed men in his own house. The creators of the monument depicted the Circle sitting on a bench with a guitar in their hands – just as he remembered to many fans of his work.
Pedestrian street, one of the central and most beautiful streets of Tver, Trekhsvyatskaya is known as the “Tver Arbat”. It was formed at the end of the 18th century, when, after the next major fire, Empress Catherine the Great pointed out that the city should be built up according to the newly approved master plan. In 1901, one of the first lines of the city tram went through Trekhsvyatskaya Street (it operated until 1975). Modern Trekhsvyatskaya is known for a large number of entertainment venues, small cafes and souvenir shops, as well as performances of street musicians that are often held here.
Not far from the Old Bridge, attention is drawn to a huge building in the style of classicism, whose history is directly related to the location of the city on the way from St. Petersburg to Moscow. It is a traveling palace built in the 1760s for Empress Catherine, who visited Tver in the winter of 1767. At the beginning of the 19th century, architect Karl Rossi rebuilt the building for the sister of Emperor Alexander I; around the palace is a city garden. Since the 1930s, the Travel Palace has become the seat of the city art gallery.
The courtyard of Proletary, or Morozovskiye dom – quarter built more than a hundred years ago for the workers of the textile enterprise industrialists Morozov. High red-brick dormitory houses, built under the influence of modern architecture, are still used as residential buildings, despite their emergency condition: the walls and facade of buildings are gradually destroyed, many windows have no glass. The question of the restoration of these important monuments of industrial architecture of the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries remains far from being resolved.
The massive building built in 1935 (architect V. Anfyorov), built in the Stalinist style, stands on the main Tver embankment in the city center. In the past, the military headquarters was located here, then the Military Pedagogical Institute. Now the building is used as a hostel of the Academy of Aerospace Defense.
The Orthodox Christ Nativity Monastery is located on the bank of the Tmaka River, a right-hand tributary of the Volga, in the western part of the city. The documented history of the monastery has more than five hundred years, and it is authentically known that the monastery existed before. Presumably, the monastery was founded in the 14th century, during the period of the struggle of the Moscow and Tver principalities for supremacy in Ancient Russia. In the Time of Troubles was ravaged, and since then has lost its value. Up until the 19th century, monastic buildings remained wooden; only after new benefactors undertook its reconstruction, did he acquire new stone buildings and acquire his modern look.
The monument of 1970, erected near the confluence of the Volga and Tmaka, is dedicated to the famous events of the Second World War. You can read about these events, in which a lot of Tverches took part, on the slabs that form the foot of the 45-meter obelisk. Shortly before the appearance of this monument, in the 1960s, the Orthodox St. Nicholas Church was located here, and later exploded.